2nd Essay Writing Competition
National Sports Day
– August 29, 2018
National Sports Day is observed every year across India on August 29 to mark the birth anniversary of the legendary hockey player Dhyan Chand who was born on August 29, 1905 and won gold medals in Olympics for India in the years 1928, 1932, and 1936.
In light of the prospective sporting events that are scheduled to take place in the country, IP4kids a CSR initiative of S.S. Rana & Co. an Intellectual Property Law Firm, is organizing Write-a-Thon, an annual essay writing competition to give young students an opportunity to understand the role played by intellectual property rights in sports.
Innovation and creativity are the key drivers in the world of sport. In every sporting field, inventors and creators are working behind the scenes to push the boundaries, creating new opportunities for enjoyment and for athletes’ to better their performance. Sports shows Intellectual Property in action. Patents encourage technological advances that result in better sporting equipment. Trademarks, brands and designs contribute to the distinct identity of events, teams and their gear. Copyright-related rights generate the revenues needed for broadcasters to invest in the costly undertaking of broadcasting sports events to fans all over the world. IP rights are the basics of licensing and merchandising agreements that earn revenues to support development of the sports industry.
Themes of the Essay(s)-
Young minds are encouraged to focus on the theme of “IP in the field of Sports”, for their essays and hence may contemplate writing on topics related to Intellectual Property, Innovation, Broadcasting, Licenses and sponsorship’s, merchandising, etc.
Some of the suggested topics are:
- Sports Management and Intellectual Property
- Ambush Marketing surrounding major Sporting Events
- Tackling Counterfeiting and Grey Goods in the world of sports.
- The role of IP in sports
- Are sports move patentable?
- Personality Rights in the Sporting World
Rules of the Competition
- Participants should mention “National Sports Day – All India Essay Writing Competition-2018” in the subject line;
- Entries must be original and in English language only;
- Only a single entry will be accepted from one participant. Co-authorship (up to 2 authors) is also permitted;
- The competition is open to essays of up to 3,000 words for School students and 4500 words for college students. Entries outside the word limitation will be disqualified;
- The essay shall be disqualified if it is plagiarized. Due credit should be given to the concerned author and/or publisher(s) in Bibliography and/or Reference, as the case may be, in proper 19th blue book edition;
- Summary of the best essay will be published in IP Connect� the newsletter of S. S. Rana & Co. on September 4, 2017;
- The copyrights in the essay shall vest with IP4KIDS and S.S. Rana & Co.;
- All entries are to be done via http://scriptit.co.in/write-a-thon.aspx
- All entries are to be uploaded at the portal only. No physical form shall be accepted.
- Top 3 winners in each category will be given exciting prizes and cash prize, along with certificates;
- The Awards would be given to students in two categories: a) College and b) School;
- Winner in the college and school category will be awarded prizes worth INR 5000 each. along with a certificate.
- Second and third runner ups in the college and school category would be presented prize(s) worth INR 3,000 and INR 1,500 each along with certificates;
- The Top Three Winners in the college category will be given an opportunity for a paid Internship at the Firm.
- Other deserving participants shall also be presented with certificates;
For further information, please write to us at email@example.com or call us at 91-11-4012 3000.
Note: The competition intends to provide a platform to the students to share their views and to raise IPR awareness among them. The decision of the Judges shall be final. The organizers of the competition reserve all rights to change the date of announcements of the results and/or the date of announcements and publication of the results. The organizers also reserve the rights to withdraw any or both categories of awards if the entries thus received do not meet the aforesaid criteria. The organizers also reserve all the rights for Publication and reproduction of essay/write ups, due credit in this regard shall be given to the author(s).
 The organizers of the competition reserve all rights to change the date of announcements of the results
 In case of tie or in case of co-authored articles the prize money shall be divided amongst the participants