In collaboration with
S.S. Rana & Co.
9th Essay Writing Competition
World Intellectual Property Day – April 26, 2020
“I want a better future.
I want to save my future.
I want to save our future.
I want to save the future of all the children and all people of future generations.”
– Ridhima Pandey 11-year-old Indian Environmental Activist
We are in an era wherein children across the globe are fighting for environment and, ‘natural’ and ‘organic’ things are in vogue. In December 2019 the world was given a green jolt by 16-year-old Swedish environmental activist Greta Thunberg by her speech at the UN Climate Action Summit in New York wherein she pleaded and warned the world about climate change. Immediately after this she along with 15 other youth activists including Ridhima Pandey from India filed an official complaint to the United Nations Committee protesting lack of global government action on the climate crisis.
In an effort to be a part of the change, IP4kids in collaboration with S.S. Rana & Co. is organizing Script it! ™, the annual essay writing competition on the occasion of World IP Day 2020. The theme for this year as chosen by the World Intellectual Property Organisation is Innovate for a green future.
Theme of the Essay-
Young minds are encouraged to focus on the World IP Day theme i.e. Innovate for a green future, for their essays and hence may contemplate writing on topics related to theme. The theme revolves around exploring how a balanced and robust IP system can support the emergence of a green economy that works with and not against the earth’s life-support systems – how the patent system fosters innovation and the development and diffusion of eco-friendly technologies that enable us tackle the climate crisis and build a green future; how design thinking and design rights together support the optimal use of resources and enable designers to invest their time and talent in creating useful, attractive and eco-friendly products for consumers; how trademarks and other identifiers support the emergence and growth of businesses built on principles of environmental sustainability, enabling them; how rights, such as geographical indications are encouraging more sustainable natural resource use; how plant-breeding rights are promoting the development of more resilient crops in support of global food security.
Some of the suggested topics are:
- CoVid19 and impact on environment
- Innovations and impact on natural resources
- Life before, during and after Coronavirus Outbreak
- IP nurturing green economy
- Rethinking technology in light of promoting sustainable development
- Policies that can help propel world to a cleaner and greener future
Last date for Submission-
April 22, 2020
Eligibility and Process-
- Only school students who fall within the class categories are invited to submit their essays focusing on themes provided.
- The competition is open only to students belonging to the following Categories –
Classes: IX to XII – Category A
Classes: IV to VIII – Category B
- School students are invited to submit their essays focusing on theme i.e. ‘Innovate for a green future’ prior to the deadline of April 22, 2020.
- Qualified experts and judges appointed by IP4kids and S.S. Rana & Co. will select the best 3 essays from each category based on:
- The inclusion of the theme in the essay.
- The relevance of the subject matter of the essay.
- The language and thought process of the essay.
- The conclusion of the essay
Result Declaration –
Rules for Participation-
- The competition is open only to school students;
- The participants shall mention the following on the front page in bold letters –
- Name of the participant(s);
- Name of the School;
- Contact details including phone number and postal address;
- Copy of School Id-Card;
- Participants must mention “Script it!™World IP Day – Eighth All India Essay Writing Competition” in the subject line;
- Entries must be original and in English only;
- Only one entry will be accepted from each participant. Co-authorship (up to 2 authors) is also permitted;
- The competition is open to essay of up to 3,000 words for school students. Entries outside the word limitation will be disqualified;
- The essay shall be disqualified if it is plagiarized. Due credit should be given to the concerned author and/or publisher(s) in bibliography and/or references, as the case may be, in proper 19th bluebook edition;
- The copyright of the winning essay shall vest with IP4kids and S.S. Rana & Co.;
- All entries are to be sent:
- All entries are to be sent only in MS Word (.doc or .docx) or .pdf format. The cover page of the document/ entry submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, must mention the Name, School, Class, Mobile Number and Address of the Participant along with an attachment of the school ID card.
- IP4kids and S.S. Rana & Co. accepts no responsibility for entries lost, delayed, misdirected, damaged or undelivered. Incomplete and/or illegible entries will be disqualified.
- Winners in each category will be awarded exciting prizes along with a certificate.
- Other deserving participants shall also be presented with certificates;
For further information, please write to us at email@example.com or call us at 91-11-4012 3000.
Note: The competition intends to provide a platform to the students to share their views and to raise IPR awareness among them. The decision of the Judges shall be final. The organizers of the competition reserve all rights to change the date of announcements of the results and/or the date of announcements and publication of the results. The organizers also reserve the rights to withdraw any or both categories of awards if the entries thus received do not meet the aforesaid criteria. The organizers also reserve all the rights for Publication and reproduction of essay/write ups, due credit in this regard shall be given to the author(s).
Disclaimer: In light of the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak, we will not be accepting any physical entry submitted. The submissions must be made electronically, and all the Certificates will be issued by the organizing committee, digitally.
We hope you and your near and dear ones are keeping safe in these trying circumstances.
 The organizers of the competition reserve all rights to change the date of announcements of the results.
 The organizers of the competition reserve all rights to change the date of announcements and publication of the results