In collaboration with S.S. Rana & Co.
Fifth All India National Essay Writing Competition
World Intellectual Property Day – April 26, 2016
On April 26, 1970 WIPO Convention came into force and the day was chosen as the World IP day by the WIPO member states to increase general understanding of what IP really means. Every year this day celebrates creativity, and contribution made by creators and innovators to the development of societies across the globe all the while raising awareness of how patents, copyright, trademarks and designs impact our daily life. This year WIPO has declared Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined as the theme of World IP Day 2016.
Script it!™ – The Essay Competition
Taking cue from this year’s IP Day theme and to give young students an opportunity to understand the role played by intellectual property, Vidya Darshan Rana Charitable Trust in collaboration with S.S. Rana & Co. presents Script it!™ ‐The Fifth All India Essay Writing Competition.
Themes of the Essay(s)-
Young minds are encouraged to focus on the World IP Day theme i.e. Digital Creativity: Culture Reimagined, for their essays and hence may contemplate writing on topics related to IP, cultural creativity, Geographical Indication, Legal Aspects of File sharing, etc. Some of the suggested topics are:
- International IP Framework vis-a-vis protection of Cultural Properties of Indigenous People;
- Impact of the Free Culture Movement on IP rights;
- The Effect of ‘Home Copying’ on the market for audio-visual recordings;
- Protection of Traditional Foods in India;
- Socio- Economics of Geographical Indications in India;
Last date for Submission-
April 20, 2016.
- College and/or School students are invited to submit their essays focusing on themes relating to IP, Cultural Creativity, Geographical Indication, Legal aspects of file sharing prior to the deadline of April 20, 2016.
- Qualified Experts and Judges appointed by Vidya Darshan Rana Charitable Trust and S. Rana & Co. will select the best 3 essays.
- Following this the winners will be announced in IP©onnect®, S. Rana & Co.’s weekly newsletter on April 26, 20161 i.e. World IP Day
Rules for Participation-
- The competition is open only to School and College students (Students graduating in 2016 can also apply);
- The participants shall mention the following on the front page in bold letters –
- Name of the participant(s);
- Name of the Academic Institution;
- Contact details including phone number and postal address;
- Copy of School/College Id-Card;
- Participants should mention “Script it!™ World IP Day- Fourth All India Essay Writing Competition” in subject line;
- Entries must be original and in English language only;
- Only a single entry will be accepted from one partici Co-authorship (up to 2 authors) is also permitted;
- The competition is open to essays of up to 3,000 words for School students and 4500 words for college students. Entries outside the word limitation will be disqualified;
- The essay shall be disqualified if it is plagiarized. Due credit should be given to the concerned author and/or publisher(s) in Bibliography and/or Reference, as the case may be, in proper 19th bluebook edition;
- Summary of the best essay will be published in IP©onnect® on April 26, 2016;2
- The copyrights of the essay shall vest with Vidya Darshan Rana Charitable Trust and S. Rana & Co.;
- All entries are to be sent by e-mail to essays@vidyain Participants can also upload their essay(s) on the Script it!™ web portal at www.vidyadarshan.in;
- All entries are to be sent only in MS Word (.doc or .docx) or .pdf
- The Awards would be given to students in two categories: a) College and b) School;
- Winners in the college category will be awarded prizes(s) worth 7,500 and winners in the school category will be awarded prizes(s) worth 5000, along with a certificate and an opportunity to author an article on any forthcoming issue of IP©onnect® of his/her
- Second and third runner ups in the college category would be presented prize(s) worth INR 5,000 and INR 2,500 respectively along with certificates;
- Second and third runner ups in the school each category would be presented prize(s) worth INR 2,500 and INR 1,000 respectively along with certificates
- The Top Three Winners in the college category will be given an opportunity for a paid Internship at the Firm.
- Other deserving participants shall also be presented with certificates;
For further information, please write to us at email@example.com or call us at 91-11-3056 2000.
Note: The competition intends to provide a platform to the students to share their views and to raise IPR awareness among them. The decision of the Judges shall be final. The organizers of the competition reserve all rights to change the date of announcements of the results and/or the date of announcements and publication of the results. The organizers also reserve the rights to withdraw any or both categories of awards if the entries thus received do not meet the aforesaid criteria. The organizers also reserve all the rights for Publication and reproduction of essay/write ups, due credit in this regard shall be given to the author(s).