On the weekend of January 20-21, 2018, all the budding minds in New Delhi flocked to the National Science Centre (NSC), Pragati Maidan, New Delhi for the Innovation Festival, 2018. It aimed to foster a passion and aptitude for science and technology and provide a unique platform to avant-garde and creative Innovators. S.S. Rana & Co. marked its presence, for the third time, at the festival, through its CSR Initiative, IP4KIDS, a sensitization program to spread awareness about Intellectual Property Rights among the younger generation….
Indian Intellectual Property in association with confederation of Indian Industry announces invitation for submission of Application for National IP Trends 2018……
Kore International Youth Olympiad 4i 2018 (Kiyo 4i) to be hold in Seoul, Korea from August 10-12, 2018………
‘The Magic Called Innovation’: Innovation Festival, 2018
‘When the winds of change blow, some people build walls and others build windmills.’
– Chinese Proverb
On the weekend of January 20-21, 2018, all the budding minds in New Delhi flocked to the National Science Centre (NSC), Pragati Maidan, New Delhi for the Innovation Festival, 2018. It aimed to foster a passion and aptitude for science and technology and provide a unique platform to avant-garde and creative Innovators. There were around thirty stalls at the fair showcasing their fantastic innovations. The festival was a celebration of science and innovation with first-hand information from the creators themselves. It was about participation, not competition. This was a place to meet and interact with likeminded innovators from different walks of life.
S.S. Rana & Co. marked its presence, for the third time, at the festival, through its CSR Initiative, IP4KIDS, a sensitization program to spread awareness about Intellectual Property Rights among the younger generation. The idea was to ignite a spark in the young minds about Intellectual Property Rights, so that they learn how to protect their inventions, creativity and be incentivized for their contribution to the human race. The initiative aims to stimulate in the young minds of children a culture of innovation, and to inculcate in them a respect for the fruits of one’s labor, as we firmly believe that when one creates IP, he respects IP, as he expects others to respect his IP as well. Building respect for IP means helping create an environment in which IP can fulfill its role to stimulate innovation and creation. It also means fostering an environment in which the system of protection provides equitable benefits for both innovators and users of IP.
With a team of volunteers, the IP4Kids welcomed the curious minds to educate them and give a perception about Intellectual Property. With a number of engaging activities like IP Quiz, Logo Quiz, Idea Contest, One on One interaction, the event gave an opportunity to the younger generation to openly discuss and know about Intellectual Property Law. There were also small parallel events organized by the National Science Centre such as Creative Robo Design, Make it at Science Centre, On the spot Design, Family Science Quiz, etc. The main attraction of the IP4Kids stall was the Lucky Kids Raffle in which children from various schools came and filled in their details in the IP VaultTM kept at the stall. Of the multiple entries received we are happy to announce the winners who are –
- Sarthak Bansal from Ahlcon International School
- Anant Bansal from Army Public School
- Madhar Rudraksh from Army Public School
The feedback showed that all, especially the kids enjoyed the interactive session with the IP4KIDS team. It also received immense support from the World Intellectual Property Organization in the form scholastic comics for distribution at the fair, which was a major attraction for kids. The volunteers from the firm also delivered a presentation on ‘Safeguarding Ideas’ in a special session organized by the NSC. The fruitful event concluded with the firm being awarded a memento for participating in the fest and spreading awareness about Intellectual Property Rights among the younger generation.
Invitation for Submission of Applications for National IP Awards 2018
The Indian Intellectual Property Office (IPO) in association with the Confederation of Indian Industry, every year facilitates outstanding innovators (CII), organizations and companies in the field of patents, designs, trademarks and geographical indications with the National Intellectual Property Awards on World Intellectual Property Day.
The invitation for submission of Applications for National IP Awards 2018 has been announced by the IPO on January 30, 2018. This year, ten (10) categories are included, namely:
- Top Individual for Patents & Commercialization
- Top Indian Academic institution for Patents & Commercialization
- Top R & D institution/organisation for Patents & Commercialization
- Top Public Limited Company / Private Limited Company for Patents & Commercialization in India
- Top Indian Private Company (MSME) for Patents & Commercialization
- Top Start-up for IP Commercialization
- Top Indian Company /Organization for Designs
- Top Indian Company for creating Global brand
- Top Individual / organization for Best facilitation of Registration of GI and Promotion of registered GI in India.
- Best Police Unit (District / zone in a commissionarate) for enforcement of IP in the Country.
Each award carries a prize money of Rs. 1,00,000/- and a citation. The National IP Awards will be linked with WIPO Awards, which are conferred by the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO). Thus,
- Top Individual for Patents & Commercialization will be linked with WIPO Medal for Inventors
- Top Indian Public Limited Company/ Private Limited Company will be linked with WIPO IP Enterprises Trophy
- Top Indian Company for creating Global brand will be linked with WIPO Users Trophy.
The awards will be given based on:
- Number of IPRs filed / granted / registered.
- Growth in IPR portfolio in the last three calendar years.
- Leveraging of IPRs for achieving commercial goals (manufacturing, licensing, processes associated with granted / registered IPRs marketing / export etc.)
Also, numerical weightage for filing and grant of IP applications and commercialization will be considered for the purpose of evaluating applications for Awards related to:
- Patents: the weightage for Filing & Grant/Registration to Commercialization will be 60:40,
- Designs and Trade Marks: the weightage for filing & Registration to commercialization will be 40:60.
- Enforcement of IPRs: the weightage will be 20:30:50 for FIR lodged for infringement to Raids conducted to Charge sheet filed
The eligibility criteria includes:
- The applicant has to be either an Individual or a Legal Entity
- An organization applying for award under the category of MSME, ‘Top Indian Private Company (MSME) for Patents & Commercialization’, should be a standalone enterprise and it should state the details of patent applications filed / granted in its own name only.
- The applicants applying in ‘Top Public Limited Company / Private Limited Company in India’ should have the patents granted/ patents applied for the research and development conducted in India and subsequent first filing should be in India for the said developed inventions.
The deadline for submitting the applications is on or before February 28, 2018.
Korea International Youth Olympiad 4i 2018 (Kiyo 4i)
Seoul, Korea will be hosting the Korea International Youth Olympiad 4I this year from August 10-12, 2018. The event promises to be a vibrant festival for young minds, who can come together to share ideas in the sphere of innovation, intellectual property and high technology, as well as provide an excellent presentation and exposition of their technological achievements in various fields.
There are two main contests this year for students to participate in ‘The Best of Best Invention’ and ‘Team Competition for Creativity’. Other than this, there will be side events, games, and a host of prizes to be won.
The eligibility criteria for participation is Grade 3 to University Students (National and International). The application form can be downloaded from http://kiyo4i.com/en/register/. The form, along with the required documents, has to be sent via e-mail at email@example.com. The deadline for sending the application is June 30, 2018.